Hello Fellow Food Adventurers,
I have been enjoying food with a little kick lately. I am always looking for new dishes and ways to make some of my favorite restaurant/fast food dishes cleaner or at least a better option. So this is a budget friendly dish as well as under 500 cals (without the rice).
- 2 egg yolks
- 1-1/2 cups cold water
- 1-3/4 cups white flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sriracha
- 1 Tbs rice vinegar
- 2 Tbs sugar
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- vegetable oil, enough to fill a large nonstick pot to 1/3 inch
- Steamed broccoli florrets
- Green onions (optional)
- Drain the tofu by wrapping it in either a clean dish towel or a few layers of paper towels. Place an additional dish towel or paper towels on top of a plate and place the wrapped tofu on top if the tofu. Place something heavy on top of the tofu (like a cast iron skillet). At minimum drail for 20 minutes, I like to drain it for at least one hour.
- Cut the tofu into bite size pieces.
- Pour oil into a large pot, fill to 1/3-1/2 inch deep and turn the heat on to medium low.
- Place the egg yolks in a large bowl and whisk them together. As you whisk slowly add in the ice water and blend well.
- Add in the flour and quickly stir to mis- to not over mix, it is ok if it has some clumps.
- Dip each tofu cube into the batter and place into the hot oil. Fry for about two minutes, flip and fry the other side for an additional minute. Remove from the pan and place on a paper towel to drain any excess oil.
- Steam broccoli, I do this in a microwave safe dish with a lid with a couple of Tbs of water.
- In a bowl mix together the mayonnaise, Sriracha, rice vinegar, and sugar.
- Toss in the tofu to mix evenly
- Serve over rice and with a side of broccoli. Make extra sauce for anyone that likes it extra spicy!
Nutritional Breakdown by MyFitnessPal
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 30 g||45 %|
|Saturated Fat 5 g||25 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 8 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 16 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 102 mg||34 %|
|Sodium 447 mg||19 %|
|Potassium 268 mg||8 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 40 g||13 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2 g||9 %|
|Sugars 17 g|
|Protein 12 g||24 %|
|Vitamin A||7 %|
|Vitamin C||52 %|