Hello Fellow Food Adventurers,
Happy first day of fall! To celebrate I thought I would share a delicious fall dish, mac & cheese. This is the perfect comfort food to say farewell to summer.
- 1 1/2 cups elbow macaroni, shells or cavatappi
- 3 tablespoons + 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups of shredded cheese (You can do all cheddar or mix it up cheddar and gruyere)
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 cup of bread crumbs (italian or panko work well )
How to put it together:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add a generous sprinkling of salt to the pasta (follow box instructions).
- While you wait for the pasta to cook, melt three tablespoons of butter in a large pot.
- Add the flour and stir until the mixture is lightly browned; 1-2 minutes.
- Now slowly add in the milk and whisk to remove any lumps and add the salt, pepper and mustard powder.
- Stir in the cheese and whisk until smooth and melted.
- When the pasta is almost done but still firm, drain it and add to the sauce.
- Stir the pasta into the sauce and bake in a greased 2 quart dish or an 8x8 pan.
- Melt the last table spoon of butter in a bowl, mix with bread crumbs and top your mac & cheese
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until browned and bubbly.
- Top with pulled pork
- Mix in bbq sauce or sriracha sauce
- Serve as a delicious side