So I've been using my slow cooker more and more with my crazy schedule. After a long day at work who wants to cook a meal? Being tired after work or hitting the gym usually makes me turn to bad habits like Kraft Mac&Cheese or chicken nuggets and french fries because they are quick and easy.
But with the wonderful world of slow cookers, I can leave that world behind and come home to a delicious meal.
Two of our friends recently moved into the Boston area and to celebrate I made dinner. Since I had to go into the office I decided that instead of stressing, I would throw together a slow cooker meal that I would be able to easily finish up in a matter of minutes when I got home. I found this great recipe by Martha Stewart that didn't need any canned cream of GROSS in the recipe that I modified a bit.
Best part is that everyone loved it and even went in for seconds and thirds.
- 2 lbs stewing beef in 2 inch chunks
- 1 large onion chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 lb of sliced white mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 1/2 cup of plain greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 bag of egg noodles, cooked for serving
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
How to Put It Together:
- In your slow cooker, toss the beef, onion, mushrooms and the salt and pepper and cook until the meet is tender. 8 hours on low or 6 hours on high
- Whisk together corn starch and water.
- Next whisk together about 1 cup of the cooking liquid from the slow cooker with the corn starch mixture.
- Pour this mixture into a small saucepan, bring to a coil, and cook until thickened. About 1 minute
- Turn off your slow cooker, stir in the cornstarch mixture.
- Once combined add in the greek yogurt and mustard.
- Serve over cooked egg noodles.
- I like to serve salad and garlic ciabatta bread along side this dish as well.
Eat Well and Adventure On,