After living in Rochester, NY for a few years I learned about the deliciousness of the garbage plate. Ok, it sounds weird and possibly disgusting but I promise you its absolutely delicious. There are a few garbage plate combinations you can enjoy, the possibilities are pretty endless: burger, cheeseburger, red or white hots, Italian sausage, and grilled cheese just to name a few.
The originator of the Garbage plate is Nick Tahou's. They even trade marked the name Garbage Plate for their scrumptious dish!
I hope you love it as much as I do!
- 1 Tbs of of vegetable oil
- 1 medium sized yellow onion
- 1 clove of minced garlic
- 1 lb Ground beef
- 1/2 can kidney beans
- 1 6oz can of tomato paste
- 1 1/2 Cup of water
- 4 Tbs Franks hot sauce
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- 1 tsp Chili powder
- 1/2 tsp of cumin
- 1/4 tsp of cinnamon
- 4 Ground beef patties or White hots (Not sure how easily you can find white hots but I know Wegman's always has them)
- 1 Bag of frozen home fries
- 1 lb Freshly made macaroni salad
- 1 Small chopped white onion
- Italian bread loaf
- American Cheese (optional, for cheese burger plates)
- Chopped onions
- Yellow Mustard
Oven: 350°F Bake Time: 20 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Place frozen home fries in one even layer on a baking sheet
- Bake for 20 minutes
- Place them on a plate and put them aside until ready to put your garbage plate together
Heat: Medium High Cooking Time: 14 minutes Serving Size: 4 people
- Heat a griddle or grill to medium high heat
- Place the burgers and cook until cooked through about medium well
- Once the burgers are cooked, place them on a plate and cover with tin foil to keep them warm.
- If you want to make a cheese burger plate, place a slice of american cheese on the burgers before you cover them in tin foil.
Heat: Medium/ Low Cooking Time: 20 minutes Serving Size: 5-6 people
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until translucent then add garlic and sauté for an additional minute
- Add the ground beef and cook until there is no more pink.
- Drain most of the excess fat and return the pan and meat to heat
- Add water and tomato paste and combine.
- Mix in the kidney beans, hot sauce, salt, black pepper, chili powder, cumin, and cinnamon.
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 15-20 minutes, while you are prepping the rest of the plate
- Stir occasionally
- Place the home fries and macaroni salad onto your plate.
- Next add your burger to the plate and pour the sauce on the top. Add as little or as much as you'd like.
Eat Well & Adventure On,